Do Not Let a Mosquito Break Your Pet's Heart - Protect Them From Heartworms
Cleveland, TN pet owners - It takes one bite from an infected mosquito to break your pet's heart!
What are heartworms? Heartworms are a serious and potentially fatal disease in pets, particularly in Cleveland, TN with the prevalence of mosquitoes. Foot-long worms live in the heart, lungs & blood vessels of infected pets, causing lung disease, heart failure, organ damage and can be fatal if untreated.
How does my pet get heartworms? Heartworms living in an infected dog, cat or wildlife produce baby worms that circulate in the bloodstream. When a mosquito bites an infected animal, it picks up these worms and when it bites another animal, the worms enter through the bite wound. Heartworms can grow and live for 5 - 7 years in dogs and 3 years in cats.
How prevalent is heartworm disease in Cleveland, TN? Heartworm disease is a year-round problem. In Bradley County, TN - 1 in 34 dogs tested positive for heartworms.
What can I do to protect my pet from heartworms? Heartworm disease is preventable! Dogs should be tested annually and before starting prevention. Prevention is the safest and most cost-effective option, but treatment is available for dogs (although costly & lengthy). Cats should be tested before starting prevention and re-tested as the veterinarian deems appropriate. There is NO treatment in cats, so prevention is critical and the only means of protection.
- Heartworm Treatment vs. Heartworm Prevention
Appalachian Animal Clinic has safe, effective products available that cater to you and your pet's lifestyle and budget. They must be administered year-round to protect your pet.
* Heartgard is a monthly chew to dogs to prevent heartworms.
* Trifexis is a given monthly to dogs to prevent heartworm disease and control hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections plus kills fleas and prevent infestations.
* Interceptor Plus is a chewable tablet given monthly to dogs that prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm, whipworm and tapeworm infections.
* ProHeart6 is an injection administered to dogs by a veterinarian that provides 6 months of heartworm plus hookworm protection. ProHeart6 relieves the pet owner from having to remember and administer monthly medications.
* Revolution is applied topically each month to cats and kills adult fleas; prevents flea eggs from hatching, treats and controls roundworm and hookworm infections and ear mites and protects against heartworm disease for 4 weeks.
Keep your pets safe from this deadly but preventable disease!
Schedule an appointment for their heartworm test and to discuss the best prevention options for your pets.
*** Heartworm Clinic on Saturday, May 13th - Save $13 off the price of heartworm test! For $25 test your pet for fatal heartworms! If negative, no exam needed! If positive, your pet will require a veterinary exam for us to discuss treatment options.